Teams and Walkers
Teams and Walkers
Aloha, thank you for your support of the YMCA!
For more than 150 years, the YMCA has strengthened communities by connecting people to their potential, purpose, and each other.
But 2020 was a year unlike any other. We experienced isolation. Loss. Shutdowns. Record unemployment. Escalating inequities in shelter, food, well-being, and more.
With your help, our YMCA served on the front lines, to
• Feed more than 100,000 healthy meals to keiki in our community who were reliant on school lunches, as well as to our housebound kupuna.
• Provide care for 1,700+ children so our essential workers could keep serving and parents could get back to work.
• Create a system-wide Learning Center program to serve school-aged children with no access to home computers for distance learning, including a midday meal and safe after-school care activities as parents returned to work.
• Connect teens through virtual enrichment and social programs to keep them thriving, and provide counseling support to at-risk teens to keep them healthy and safe.
• Collect more than 100,000 pieces of PPE to be distributed to health care and other essential workers.
• Make many wellness class opportunities available through the Virtual Y, allowing our community members to stay connected, and healthy in mind and body.
• Open Camp Erdman’s facilities to provide safe transitional housing for 40 houseless individuals and families, as job losses led to an increase in homelessness.
The Y itself experienced significant revenue losses in monthly program and membership revenues due to the shutdown periods and subsequent pandemic restrictions upon reopening. More than 50% of its workforce was furloughed or took salary reductions, yet there was no reduction in staff efforts and quality of services wherever the Y was needed.
The needs in our community remain great in 2021 as we recover from the pandemic. This year, more than ever, we are relying on the enduring generosity and support of our donors to sustain the Y's crucial work.
I would very much appreciate your donation today to ensure we can continue our 150+ year legacy of serving the most critical needs of our community and are truly able to be “here for good, and here for all”.
Mahalo nui loa!