Teams and Walkers
Teams and Walkers
Aloha Friends & Family,
Happy New Year! My hope is that you & your family are healthy in body and spirit after a tough 2020. I am reaching out to ask that you consider supporting the Windward YMCA by making a contribution to my fundraiser. The past year has been particularly challenging to the Windward Y, which had to close its doors for several months to comply with mandatory pandemic restrictions and, as a result, lost more than half of its monthly program and membership revenue. To offset this deficit, over 90% of the workforce was furloughed. Despite this, the Y staff quickly pivoted to create new ways to serve the most critical and urgent needs of our community, including:
- The “Learning Center” program was created on site for 50 elementary school aged keiki, providing an e-learning environment during school closures as well as safe after school care activities so their parents could return to work.
- Together with the YMCA of Honolulu, the Windward Y is offering childcare for Essential Workers with over 970 keiki served island wide.
- Staff and volunteers served more than 91,500 meals – 1,000 hot meals a day – to needy families from late March until the end of July.
- The Windward Y has continued its monthly houseless program, providing a hot meal, shower, supplies and services to this vulnerable population for a 3rd year in a row.
- The Y has also distributed over 1,200 lbs of food and fresh produce to families and kupuna in need, clothing donations to local women’s shelters, as well as 30,000 hot meals to keiki from the Windward Y parking lot 5 days a week.
Like the Y, we understand that your circumstances may have changed during the past year. But if you find yourself capable, please consider a gift to the Windward YMCA that suits you. A gift in any amount means a lot to those less fortunate and all of your contributions to the annual campaign will serve the Windward community.
Mahalo nui and stay well!